The Macone Repair shop

History of Macone Brothers, Incorporated

Macone Brothers were in the automobile business for fifty-one years.  They eventually sold the corporation to their nephews who operated the very successful Macone Sporting Goods.

When the original Macone, Alessandro, came to Concord he bought a farm out on Strawberry Hill Road.  This was about at the turn of the century.  The resourcefulness of Mr. Macone in utilizing every square foot of his farm for the production of vegetables and fruit was amazing.  He made it pay from the start. Mr. Macone lived there as a successful farmer until his death. Along with the farm crops he produced, he reared a family of eight boys and four girls. He not only made a success of growing fruit and vegetables but he and his wife produced a large family, all of whom became solid citizens of the town.  All graduated from Concord schools.

An early Pierce-Arrow tow truck

Every one of the male Macone children were skilled mechanically. Nicholas, the oldest son, for a time ran a bicycle repair business.  In 1910 he opened a shop in a small metal building which he had built on Lowell Road.  This was the location were he fulfilled the obligation known as “The Old Nick’s Club” (see the attached form of indenture as prescribed by some of  the more affluent Concordians who early-on owned automobiles, but who were hard-pressed to find anyone to fix them.).

Old Nick's CLub certificate of indenture

Apparently Nick bailed out of that snare and became the mechanic and driver of a large Rochette-Snyder Touring Car belonging to a musical group called “the Singing Hodges. Nick went on the road.

Three years later his brothers  John, Joseph and Salvadore bought the building, paid the bills and formed Macone Brothers, Inc.  Shortly after this three more of the brothers joined the firm; Nicholas came back in 1915; Augustine joined the same year and Frank in 1917. Macone’s garage soon became the headquarters for most of Concord’s cyclists, motorists and sportsmen.  Their business on Lowell Road was a beacon to the new age of  personal transportation

The first Chrysler on Main Street
Sandy in the 1st Chrysler (1924 transformed from touring car to truck) With him is his band during one of Concord's celebrations.

In 1924 John ventured to the Auto Show in New York City.  He met a man outside the show who had a very advanced automobile, but was not allowed to have it presented as it was yet to be in full production (one of the prerequisites of the industry). The man had his invention parked on the sidewalk.  John was greatly impressed with its innovation of 4 wheel hydraulic brakes and many other mechanical features yet to be realized on existing automobiles.  The man introduced himself. They cut a deal. And shook hands.  The man was Walter P. Chrysler, and by that handshake, Macone Brothers became the first Chrysler dealers in the world.

Mrs. Keyes bought the first Chrysler from Macone Bothers.  It was 1924 Chrysler Touring Car, which after many reincarnations, became Macone Brother’s dump truck.  Anyone who worked for the Bothers during their reign, fondly remembers driving that old but rugged Chrysler as they went about their duties.  John’s son Sandy inherited it and used it often to transport his band in parades and other events.  It was eventually stolen from a storage yard in Carlisle, and is yet to be seen since.

The stone Macone Garage on Lowell Road

Macone’s garage was the earliest franchise of Socony Products (Mobil Gas) and Goodrich tires.  (Macone Brother’s was Standard Oil Company’s oldest customer with no change of management since foundation.)  Loyalty to their source of supply was a credit to their suppliers as well as to the Macones themselves. Their business showed a phenomenal growth from the start. It was indicative of the loyalty and cooperative spirit which enabled them to stick together for over 50 years.    

At the time of its dissolution, Macone Brothers Inc. was one of the oldest businesses in town which included Concord Clothing and Richardson’s Drug Company,  Vanderhoff Hardware, Anderson’s Market and The MacRae Funeral Company.  They all started at about the same time as Macone’s  One of the problems which faced the firm upon the closing of its books was an extensive list of accounts receivable, some of which were of long standing.  The Brothers Macone were as lenient with their generosity as they were with their talents.

Macone Sporting Goods

Macone Sporting Goods

The Macone brothers with Sam B.
Macone Brothers during “The Hour of Chickette”.  John enjoys his cigar as Joe tells a “whopper” to Sam D’Maeo.  Sam joined the Macone Brothers after his naval service in WWII.  With training at various Chrysler/Plymouth programs, he bought new life to the Macone’s aging genius of the wrench…a remarkable man of ability and personality who somehow weathered the whacky atmosphere of a Macone-run operation until it closed in 19--.  He then went on to run his own successful business at his garage at the depot.

“Chickette” was the name given to the hour of drink and smoke that ended every work day at Macone Brothers.  It loosely translates to “a short drink”.